i made this one a couple weeks back, and was looking for it on the food blog. then i realized that i never posted it!
the problem was that the last spaghetti sauce we made just wasn’t quite on the mark. so i went looking for another choice, and found a recipe from bobby flay.
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, smashed with some kosher salt to make a paste
* 2 (28-ounce) cans plum tomatoes and their juices, pureed in a blender
* 1 (16-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 1 small can tomato paste
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 small bunch Italian parsley
* 1 Cubano chile pepper, chopped
* Salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft. Add pureed tomatoes with their juices, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 cup water, bay leaf, parsley, Cubano pepper, and bring to a boil. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and cook until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes. Add meatballs and let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and meatballs are tender. Remove the bay leaf.
a couple notes:
– cubano peppers? i used a plain bell pepper.
– i also tossed in a healthy portion of red pepper flakes.
overall, i think this was a really nice recipe. it had good, strong flavor, and didn’t have the awkward sweetness of the prior recipe. i give it an A-. carla isn’t around to grade it, but i think she liked it too.