nothing too fancy here, just some oven-baked “fried” chicken. i based this off a recipe from epicurious.
* Position a rack in the upper third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
Rinse and pat dry:
* 3 1/2 pounds chicken parts
* Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Whisk together in a shallow bowl:
* 2 large eggs
* 1/4 cup milk
Combine in a wide, shallow bowl:
* 2 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
* season with salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, arlic powder
Dip the chicken pieces in the egg mixture, then coat with the corn flake mixture, patting with your fingers to make the crumbs adhere. The chicken can be prepared to this point up to 3 hours in advance and kept, uncovered, in the refrigerator. Arrange the chicken skin side up on the baking sheet. If you wish, drizzle over the chicken 2 to 3 tablespoons melted butter
Bake until the chicken is crisp and golden, 45 to 60 minutes. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
an easy and satisfying recipe that scratched the itch. nothing unbelievably special – i wouldn’t make it to blow away guests. but if you’re in the mood for fried chicken, it’ll get the job done without needing a bucket full of oil. B