when carla’s not around, it’s time for me to eat like a man. that means red meat. the problem is, since i rarely cook it, i’m not exactly a pro with beef. and experience means something, since cooking something too long will dry it out and take away from a meal.
still, i did my best, and with the help of this recipe from allrecipes, i had a pretty tasty meal last night:
* 1 1/4 tablespoons paprika
* 1 tablespoon kosher salt
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 (3 pound) sirloin tip roast
1. In a small bowl, mix the paprika, kosher salt, garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, and thyme. Stir in the olive oil, and allow the mixture to sit about 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
3. Place the roast on the prepared baking sheet, and cover on all sides with the spice mixture.
4. Roast 1 hour in the preheated oven, or to a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees F (63 degrees C). Let sit 15 minutes before slicing.
i followed the directions pretty closely, though my cut of meat was not 3 lbs; it was closer to half that. however, i left the amount of rub the same, so that it was a little excessive. i only left in the oven about 45 minutes, which seemed pretty close to the right time, but i was using the smaller meat, and our oven here is very hot. it seemed about right for medium – there was still pinkness inside, though it was perhaps bordering on medium well. i like my meat rarer, but i don’t trust myself on preparing it thus.
anyways, i would give this recipe a B+. the herb rub was pretty solid – the paprika gave it a great gentle heat, and i honestly loved that there was a lot of it there. as for the meat, for the most part it was cooked properly and was pretty tender, but i don’t think it was cooked evenly all the way through – there were a couple bites that were probably overdone and too chewy.
not bad for an inexperienced beef man. i’ll try more next time carla’s away.