mussels are the awesomest. and this easy way to prepare them, taken from here, is very easy and very solid.
4 strips of bacon, diced
1-2 large shallots, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
3/4 cup new belgium trippel
2 lbs. fresh mussels, beards removed
2 tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper
1) in a large pot, cook the bacon until crisp, then remove and set aside.
2) cook the shallots and garlic in the bacon fat for about 5 minutes, until shallots are soft and garlic begins to brown.
3) add the thyme and beer, scraping the bottom of the pan. as the beer begins to bubble, reduce heat to medium low, add mussels, and cover.
4) after about 5 minutes, remove the lid and take out any mussels that have opened. then cover for about five more minutes, and do the same. toss the closed mussels.
5) whisk the mustard into the beer, then add salt and pepper to taste. then toss the sauce over the mussels with the bacon and parsley, if using it.
6) eat! and get some bread – a good-sized baguette – to soak up the cooking liquid.