we’ve made this a trillion times for breakfast. it’s based on the recipe here, which is great, but we’ve simplified and also quadrupled it in our own fashion.
4 sweet potato
4 slices bacon
1 tbsp dried rosemary
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
8 tbsp (ish) almond meal
1) heat the oven to 400. wrap the sweet potatoes in foil and pierce, then bake for 70-80 minutes; you want them to be soft by the end. take them out and let them cool. if you are going to make the biscuits right away, you can lower the temp to 375 here.
2) while the potatoes cool, dice the bacon and fry it good.
3) empty the sweet potatoes into a big mixing bowl; discard the skins. add the diced bacon along some of the rendered fat – maybe about half of what is in the pan.
4) mix the sweet potatoes with bacon fat and bacon; add all the other ingredients and mix well. the mixture should be smooth but not overly runny – it should hold its shape on a spoon reasonably well. (i used to use 4 eggs, but i think 3 helps this better. also, you can add more or less almond meal to help with the texture here).
5) using a big spoon, form your biscuits on two sil-pats on baking sheets. bake in the oven for 25 minutes, switching racks halfway through.
6) let cool and eat! this makes a LOT of biscuits, and i think freezing some is what we’ll try next time.